COokies and Cream Energy Balls for Pregnancy and Postpartum
I get it – you’re busy. As a mom of two boys I FEEL YOU! Us mamas, we’re usually putting everyone else first. Same goes when it comes to nutrition. But fueling your body shouldn’t be an afterthought. Getting in those key nutrients, providing energy to your body – it’s important for you AND for your family. So we’ve put together these cookies and cream energy balls for pregnancy and postpartum – something quick, simple and jam-packed with nutrition. They’re also simple to store for later, and easy to grab on-the-go and eat with one hand!
Recipe: Cookies and Cream Energy Balls for Pregnancy and Postpartum
- Recipe makes approximately 15 1.5 inch balls
- Prep time: 15-20 minutes
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1 Cup Mixture of Nuts and seeds of your choice
- I used: Hemp hearts, Walnuts, Almonds, Chia seeds and Flaxseeds
- 3 Tbsp of Nut butter of choice
- 1/3 Cup of Hersey cookies & cream Chipits
- Combine all ingredients into a blender and blend until a paste is formed
- Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes
- Remove from fridge and form into round balls of your desired size
- Store in the freezer (3-6 months) or the fridge (2 weeks)
Final Notes from The Nest
This recipe is a great option for pregnant and postpartum moms – it packs in a combination of carbohydrates, protein and fat, and offers some quick energy for a satisfying snack! If you’ve got some time, or have someone else offering to help out, make a few batches you can keep in the freezer for quick options when your energy and time are limited. If you’re expecting, be sure to add them to your hospital bag snacks (check our blog post here for other ideas).
Looking for individualized support?
Book a free consultation call to connect with us and see if we’re the right fit for what you’re looking for!
- Singata M, Tranmer J, Gyte G. Restricting oral fluid and food intake during labour. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews [Internet]. 2013 [cited 31 March 2021].Available from: https://doi.org/1002/14651858.CD003930.pub3
- Morrow J, Susie C, Harkins C. A Faster Postpartum Recovery | American Pregnancy Association [Internet]. American Pregnancy Association. 2020 [cited 31 March 2021]. Available from: https://americanpregnancy.org/healthy-pregnancy/first-year-of-life/postpartum-recovery-2-76633/
- Whitney, E., Rolfes, S.R., Hammond, G., & Piche, L.A. Understanding nutrition. 2nd ed. Toronto, ON: Nelson Education Ltd.
- Marangoni F, Cetin I, Verduci E, Canzone G, Giovannini M, Scollo P et al. Maternal Diet and Nutrient Requirements in Pregnancy and Breastfeeding. An Italian Consensus Document. Nutrients [Internet]. 2016 [cited 31 March 2021];8(10):629. Available from: https://doi.org/3390/nu8100629